The Department will comprise of two (2) Divisions namely:
- Registration Division; and
- Licensing Division.
The Engineering Technology Act 2016 part III sect 15-27, provisions relating to registration, the Division Shall be responsible for registration of all eligible persons as engineering technologists and technicians, consulting engineering technologists or engineering technology consulting firms.
Registration and Licensing function include:
- Implement registration policies, strategies, procedures and guidelines;
- Design and formulate registration instruments and tools;
- Ascertain the eligibility of applicants for registration as engineering technologist/technician as a professional, candidate or a consulting engineering technologist or engineering technology consulting firms;
- Process the registration of eligible persons as engineering technologist/technician as a professional, candidate or a consulting engineering technologist or engineering technology consulting firms;
- Update the register of all registered engineering technology professionals and engineering technology firms regularly;
- Recommend appropriate registration information management systems;
- Compile data on all registered engineering technology professionals and engineering technologist firms for gazettement and publication; and
- Develop and maintain database for engineering technology qualifications locally and foreign.
The Engineering Technology Act 2016-part IV sect 28-33, provisions relating to licensing and practice, the Division shall be responsible for licensing of qualified persons and recommending cancellation or revocation and withdrawal of licences due to misconduct and breach of the Act.
The specific functions of the Division will entail:
- Implementation of engineering technologist/technician licensing policies, strategies, procedures and guidelines;
- Development and review of licensing instruments and tools;
- Design, develop and maintain licensing information management systems;
- Maintain a data base of all the licensed engineering technology professionals;
- Process the issuance and renewal of licenses to qualified persons under the provisions of this Act;
- Recommend the cancellation of licenses;
- Make recommendation on cancellation of registration due to professional misconduct, bankruptcy, conviction in a court of law or any act as may be determined by the Board and finds untenable;
- Cancellation, revocation and withdrawal of a license due to conviction of an offence under this Act due to gross misconduct, bankruptcy and other considerations; and
- Handle inquiries on matters pertaining to licensing of Engineering Technology Professionals.